- Sleeping off your hangover. First things first. Stay in bed until your apartment stops spinning.
- Drinking plenty of water and eating greasy food. Nothing cures a hangover like bacon and anything. Check out New Year's Day brunch specials that are sure to satisfy your appetite.
- Getting a good start on your New Year's resolutions by going to the gym to work off that greasy food. No gym membership? Check out our New York City gym reviews and tips for finding a great gym deal. Or hit the ice skating rink for a bit of fresh air with your exercise.
- Formally setting your goals for 2013. What do you want to accomplish in 2013? Spend a little introspective time between your brunch and your nap and jot down all of the things you want to do, see, and be in 2013.
- Relaxing and enjoying the first day of 2013. January 1st can set the tone for the rest of your year. Spend it bonding with friends over football and/or food, taking in some art and culture (MOMA and other NYC museums are open), or exploring your favorite city destinations. See our ideas for a fun New Year's Day in New York.
I want to wish all of you painless hangover recoveries and happy, successful new years. Good luck with your New Year's resolutions. And if you don't have a resolution, don't worry. One of the great things about living in New York City is that you can be whoever you want to be. New York City embraces the weird, the unique, and the imperfect (as well as the unbearably adorable). That's why we love this place.