This Friday is National Margarita Day. How appropriate that there is a day set aside to celebrate the country's favorite (and most served) tequila-based cocktail -- and how appropriate that it falls on a Friday.
I consider myself a margarita connoisseur, though my margarita taste buds are a bit out of practice after abstaining for the last 9+ months during pregnancy. Now that my adorable baby has arrived, it's time for me to rediscover my margarita love on this very special national holiday.
In fact, it's time for me to update my list of Top 5 Best Margaritas in New York City -- maybe even expand it to a list of Top 10 Best Margaritas in New York City.
But I can't do it alone. My tolerance is not what it used to be.
Please go out on Friday for National Margarita Day, sample some of New York's finest margaritas, and report back. Try the margaritas on my Top 5 list and let me know if you agree with my reviews, then expand your horizons and try to find me a better margarita.
Below are a few NYC margaritas that have been recommended as possible additions to my list. Are they worthy?
- The 40/40 Club -- Jay Z's upscale restaurant and sports lounge offers classic margaritas made with Jose Cuervo tequila and passion fruit, peach, strawberry or mango.
- Empellon Taqueria -- Explore a full menu of margaritas -- including concoctions with habanero pepper or smoked banana. The food is pretty spectacular too.
- Lantern's Keep -- The lounge in the Iroquois Hotel serves an artisan margarita shaken with mint and cucumber.
- Sotto 13 -- This West Village Italian spot offers a signature watermelon margarita with watermelon-infused pavoneo blanco tequila, fresh watermelon juice and citrus squeeze.
- The Tippler -- Get adventurous with unusual margarita ingredients including grapefruit and ginger beer.
Please recommend your favorite New York margaritas in the comments.