The 2012 New York City Veterans Day ParadeMore than 20,000 will participate in the 2011 New York City Veterans Day Parade, including veterans of all eras and active duty military, on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
The parade will begin with an opening ceremony in Madison Square Park from 10-11 am and then proceed up 5th Avenue from 26th Street to 56th Street. Bleachers will be available next to the Reviewing Stand on 41st Street and 5th Avenue for veterans and their guests who wish to sit and view the parade. Priority will be given to elderly and disabled veterans.
Former NYC mayor Ed Koch will serve as the parade's grand marshal.
The 2012 New York City Veterans Day Parade theme is “United We Stand.” This year’s featured service branch is the U.S. Coast Guard (all branches will participate). The Parade will mark the 150th anniversary of the Medal of Honor and the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. It will also be part of the ongoing Department of Defense Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War.
Each year, the New York City Veterans Day Parade is viewed by over 400,000 spectators. The parade is presented by the United War Veterans Council as as an opportunity for the city of new York to honor the brave men and women from every generation who have risked their lives to preserve our freedom.
More Veterans Day Events in New York City
- Band of Pride Tribute -- On the morning of Saturday, November 10, 2012, 20 of America's top marching bands will gather in Times Square for a concert to honor Veterans Day.
- Kisses for the Troops in Times Square -- On Monday, November 12, Cosmopolitan and Maybelline New York will take over Father Duffy Square in Times Square from 8 am until 3 pm to collect “kisses” for our troops. Get a lip touch-up from a Maybelline New York makeup artist, then kiss a card which will be sent to soldiers serving overseas. For each kiss collected, Cosmo and Maybelline New York will donate $1 to the USO.
Free and Discount Offers for Veterans on Veterans Day in New York City
- Free Meals at Applebee's -- Applebee's served up more than one million free meals last Veterans Day. This year, Applebee's is once again serving free meals to military veterans and active service members.
- Free Job Interview Training for Veterans -- U.S. veterans can get help with the job search through free access to online job interview training platform Big Interview. Sign up for a free account from November 11-16, 2012 by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.Full disclosure: The author is the co-founder of Big Interview (in addition to being your About.com Manhattan guide) and can attest that there is no purchase necessary for this offer, no hidden costs, and no catches.
- Free Bloomin' Onion at Outback Steakhouse -- Outback Steakhouse is serving a free Bloomin' Onion and Coca-Cola on November 11-12, 2012 to military personnel with identification.
- Free Donut at Tim Hortons -- U.S. military veterans can enjoy a free Star Spangled Vanilla Dip donut at Tim Hortons on Veterans Day. Vets must be in univorm or show military ID. See a map of NYC Tim Hortons locations.
- Find more Veterans Day 2012 freebies and discounts for veterans.