The New York City Easter Parade has been an annual tradition since Civil War days and features marchers in elaborate Easter finery, including some of the fanciest Easter bonnets imaginable. See photos of the New York Easter Parade.
New York City Easter ParadeWhen: March 31, 2013. 10AM - 4PM
Where: The parade begins at Fifth Avenue and 47th Street near St. Patrick's Cathedral and continues up Fifth to 57th Street.
Getting There: It's best to leave your car at home and take the subway to the parade route. However, if you do decide to drive, here are some traffic and parking tips from experts Gridlock Sam and Park It! Guide author Margot Tohn:
- Fifth Avenue between 47th and 57th Streets will likely be closed to traffic from about 10am until 6pm. Read the latest traffic advisories for Easter weekend.
- Street parking is free on Sunday, but it might be hard to find. So if you don't want to circle looking for parking or want the security and convenience of parking in a garage, check out these options:
- 54th St between Fifth and Park -- rates range from $35 - $45 for a few hours
- 55th St between Park and 3rd -- Sunday rates are $10 - $15 for most of the day
- 54th St between 1st and Sutton Place has 5 garages -- Four of the five will cost you only about $10
- 47th St between 3rd and 2nd -- Park for $11 - $15 for the day