Find free events and things to do in the most expensive city in the world. We've got the best free events in New York City this September (also see our monthly free event listings for June
, and October
See more September NYC Events
- September NYC Street Fairs, Festivals, and Farmer's Market -- New York street fairs and farmer's market provide free entertainment, cheap food, and plenty of treasures (everything from fresh arugula to jumbo packs of tube socks to "designer" handbags to cool handmade crafts).
- Labor Day Weekend in New York City -- Hanging out in Manhattan over the three-day Labor Day weekend? Our NYC Labor Day weekend event listings include free concerts and events.
- World Trade Center Run to Remember -- Join the 2010 World Trade Center Run to Remember (WTCRTR) event on Governors Island. Every runner or walker will be able to personalize their running bib to identify who they're running or walking to remember.
- New York Fashion Week -- Kick off Fashion Week with a free night of sales and giveaways at Fashion's Night Out.
- Remembering September 11 -- Mark the nine-year anniversary of September 11, 2001 at free memorial events and concerts around Manhattan.
- San Gennaro Festival -- Attention cannoli lovers: Little Italy's Feast of San Gennaro runs from September 16-26, 2010. This free outdoor festival is one of New York's oldest and most popular. Brave the crowds for free live entertainment.
- West Side County Fair -- Spend a day at the county fair in Riverside Park on September 12, 2010. Enjoy carnival rides, square dancing, and a petting zoo. Admission is free.
- Free Writing Classes -- Gotham Writers' Workshop is offering 42 free writing classes in Manhattan on September 21 and 22, 2010.
- River to River Festival -- The free festival continues through September.
- In the Flesh Erotic Reading Series -- Enjoy a night of hot stories at Happy Ending Lounge. Authors will read and sign books and free candy and cupcakes will be enjoyed by all.
- Out to Work Job Fair -- Attend the largest LGBT job fair in the Northeast for free on September 16th. Exhibitor range from A&E to the MTA to Whole Foods.
- Rosh Hashanah in New York -- Attend High Holiday services in New York City. Our listings include services that offer free admission with no ticket required.
- Yom Kippur in New York -- Our New York City Yom Kippur service listings include services that offer free admission with no ticket required.
- African-American Day Parade --Don't miss the largest African-American parade in the country on Sunday, September 19, 2010 in Harlem. Parade grand marshals will include Governor David Paterson, former mayor David Dinkins, and Rev. Al Sharpton.
- Free Museum Day -- On Saturday, September 25, visit any of 40 top NYC museums for free. It's the annual Smithsonian Institution Museum Day. Simply print out an admission card from the Smithsonian web site to present for free admission to participating NYC institutions.
- Historic House Festival-- The Historic House Trust of NYC offers an annual weekend of free and low-cost tours of New York landmarks including the Merchant's House Museum, the Little Red Lighthouse, and more.
- 2nd Annual Five Borough Surf Challenge -- Catch a wave at Far Rockaway Beach and represent your borough in on Saturday, September 25 from 9AM to 4PM. There's still time to sign up to surf. You can also come out to watch the action, take a surf lesson, or hang at the after-party.
- FAB! Festival and Block Party -- Celebrate the culture of the East Village and LES at this festival on Saturday, September 25. See performances on indoor and outdoor stages, get a preview of La Mama E.T.C.'s fall program, take classes in salsa dancing and singing, sample gourmet food from local vendors, and more.