- Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Balloon Inflation on Thanksgiving Eve -- From 9 AM on Wednesday until after Thursday's parade (around 3 PM), 77th and 81st Streets will be closed between Columbus Avenue and Central Park West for the balloon inflation. The 79th Street Central Park Transverse will close after 4 PM Wednesday.
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade -- For the parade itself, the following streets will be closed from about midnight until approximately 3 PM on Thursday (streets typically re-open 1-2 hours after the parade, depending on clean-up):
- Central Park West from Columbus Circle to West 77th Street and from West 77th Street to West 81st Street
- West 59th Street between Columbus Circle and 7th Avenue
- Broadway between 34th Street and 59th Streets
- Seventh Avenue between 33rd and 59th Streets
- West 42nd Street between Seventh and Sixth Avenues
- West 34th Street between Seventh and Sixth Avenues
- Sixth Avenue between 34th and 42nd Streets
Street parking is free, but will be hard to find. Alternate-side parking rules are suspended on Thanksgiving Day, but remember to obey all other normal parking rules or you may be the recipient of a festive Thanksgiving Day parking ticket.
Parking in a garage may be an easier option. Park It! NYC's Margot Tohn says parking garages near the parade route will be charging inflated rates, but she has some tips for saving money. For Wednesday night's balloon inflation, parking garages near Central Park West and 77th Street will likely charge upwards of $30 so your best bet is to go further west and look for evening special rates that start at 5 PM.
On Thanksgiving Day, expect to pay $40 - $50 for the convenience of parking near Central Park West in the 70s or 80s, $30 - $40 for parking between 60th and 70th Streets, and equally high rates along 6th Avenue from 59th to 42nd Street and 7th Avenue from 42nd to 34th Street.
Here are some more tips from Margot for saving on Thanksgiving parking in New York City:
- Pay $10 - $15 with all the Early Bird Special rates that are available until 9 or 10am. Midtown garages will be craving business since offices will be closed.
- Pay $13+ on the East Side and take a brisk family walk through Central Park. Most of these garages don't have an Event or Holiday rate for Thanksgiving.