New York City has announced the 2012 Holiday Traffic Plan, a series of Gridlock Alert Days and street closures designed to make holiday travel as smooth as possible during the heavy traffic days from Thanksgiving
through New Year's. Read on for more about how the plan can help you beat gridlock and travel safely and efficiently this holiday season.
Gridlock Alert Days
The City designates a number of days during the holiday season as Gridlock Alert Days, which are days when significant vehicle traffic is expected. Residents, commuters and visitors are strongly advised to use mass transit on the following days:
- Friday, November 16th, 2012
- Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 (worst traffic day of the year)
- Wednesday, November 28th, 2012 (Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting)
- Friday, December 7th, 2012
- Thursday, December 13th, 2012
- Friday, December 14th, 2012
- Wednesday, December 19th, 2012
- Thursday, December 20th, 2012
- Friday, December 21st, 2012
Stay Up-To-Date On NYC Traffic Conditions
For the latest updates on traffic conditions, check out the following resources.
Trip Planning Resources
These trip planning tools help you find the fastest and most convenient route to your destination -- by bus, train, car, or ferry.
- Hopstop makes it easy to map out your public transportation or taxi route to any destination in New York City.
- Trips 123 helps you plan any trip within the tri-state area and also offers traffic information.
- Google Maps lets you plan and map your trip within the New York City region and beyond.