Location: The entrance to Port Authority Bus Terminal is located at 625 8th Avenue. The Terminal occupies the space between 8th and 9th Avenues and stretches from from 40th to 42nd Streets.
Directions: Port Authority is easily accessible by subway and bus.
- Subway: A/C/E to 42nd Street takes you directly to the Terminal. Underground tunnels connect the N, Q, R, S,W, 1, 2, 3, and 7 trains at Times Square to the Terminal.
- Bus: M10, M16, M20 travel uptown to 42nd Street. M42 travels crosstown to 42nd Street.
Terminal Layout and Amenities: Port Authority’s layout can be somewhat confusing, especially if it’s rush hour and your bus leaves in five minutes.
There is a north terminal and a south terminal. The north terminal’s entrance is closer to 42nd Street and has mostly access ramps, stairs and escalators to transport travelers from level to level. Travelers can enter the south terminal near 41st Street where will they find most of the stores, shops, restaurants, and ticket centers.
Each terminal has three levels connected by stairs, escalators, and elevators.
- The lower level has the entrance to the subway, Greyhound offices and ticket centers for Trailways, Adirondack, Greyhound, Martz, Peter Pan, and Susquehanna bus carriers.
- The main floor hosts a variety of shops and stores such as Duane Reade, Radio Shack, and General Nutrition Center and offers food options from Au Bon Pain, Jamba Juice, and Heartland Brewery. Walk through the store area to the main ticket plaza, where you can purchase tickets and obtain bus schedules and itineraries.
- The second floor allows travelers access to bus gates and has several bus ticket vending machines. Stores and restaurants on the second floor include Hallmark, Book Corner, Sweet Factory, Café Metro, McAnn’s Pub, and Mrs. Field’s Cookies. And who said hanging out at the bus station is lame? Stop by the Frames Bowling Lounge (formerly Leisure Time Bowling) on the second floor and bowl a few games before your bus leaves.
- Download a detailed map of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Gate Directory: To avoid last-minute confusion, try to find the gate from which your bus is departing before heading to the Port Authority. Here is a full listing of gates, organized by terminal and level:
- Lower Level
- North Terminal: Gates 60-85
- South Terminal: Gates 1-56
- Main Floor (Street Level)
- South Terminal: Direct access to Lower Level Gates 1-37 and 51-56
- Second Floor
- North Terminal: Gates 301-326
- South Terminal: Gates 200-234 and 401-425