Spending Memorial Day weekend in New York City? You're in luck. There are plenty of things to do and the sidewalks will be a bit less crowded with so many of your neighbors fleeing to the Hamptons
and Fire Island
for the weekend.
- Free Today Show and Good Morning America Concerts -- Check out free early-morning concerts featuring Mariah Carey and fun.
- Memorial Day Weekend Street Fairs -- Spending the long weekend in the city? Check out some of the great street fairs and festivals -- including the Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit and festivals on the Upper West Side and in Times Square.
- Memorial Day Weekend on the Intrepid -- Visit the Intrepid for concerts, a movie screening, ship tours, demonstrations, and a Memorial Day commemoration on the flight deck of the U.S.S. Intrepid.
- Governors Island Family Festival -- On Saturday, May 25, take the whole family to Governors Island for a festival featuring live music, clowns, puppets, games, arts and crafts, face painting, and more.
- Memorial Day Weekend Sale at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets -- Make a day trip to the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets and take advantage of their annual Memorial Day Weekend sale. You'll find serious markdowns on brands including Armani, Banana Republic, Jimmy Choo, Nike, and many others.
- Cloisters Family Festival: In Search of the Unicorn -- Enjoy a medieval weekend uptown at the Cloisters Museum. Learn about unicorns and other fantastic animals of the Middle Ages, and participate in a craft project to make your own magical creature.
- Lower East Side Festival of the Arts -- The Theater for the New City will present a free weekend of live performances, films, and poetry readings. On Saturday, the party moves outside for a street festival on East 10th Street.
- New York Philharmonic Memorial Day Concert -- See conductor Alan Gilbert lead this free concert at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. Seating is first-come, first-served.
- Brooklyn Bridge Walking Tours -- Celebrate Memorial Day Weekend and the Brooklyn Bride's 130th birthda with a walk across the famous bridge and stops for birthday egg creams and other Brooklyn treats (along with a lot of history from an expert guide). NYC Discovery Walking Tours will lead the way on both Saturday and Sunday at 2:45 PM and admission is $27 per person (includes food). Call 212-465-3331 for reservations and meeting place.